A Gift of Words

Well, I'm pretty positive that we all know there are ten days until Christmas. And I don't know about you, but I'm still trying to figure out finances and budgeting and figuring out what kind of presents will MEAN the most to my family. Not necessarily material possessions, but things that will bring experiences more often than not. But especially in this season, I find a lot of Christians (both on my Facebook newsfeed and sometimes a little more in person) constantly reminding each other about the reason for the season. And at this time of my life, I really had to take stock of that.

I do call myself a Christian. I am a follower of Christ. And though I am entirely stitched together by mistakes and flaws, I am blessed enough to be surrounded by like-minded people who are able to speak into my life and help me speak blessings and peace over so many difficult situations in my life.

In particular, this last year has been one of the best of my life, thus far. With the exception of a few instances where my character has been attacked, and lies were told about me, either in person, over the internet, or in legal documents (all of which are actually a first for me. But hey, when the enemy attacks, they attack full out.), I could not be happier with where I am in life.

I discovered that it is entirely possible to do everything in your power to be helpful and supportive and people will still continue to believe the lies that they create in a time of pain, even to the detriment of their own children and important relationships. I discovered that with respect, love, and forgiveness it is not only possible to develop a friendship with an ex, but his significant other. My daughter's stepmom has become such an incredible friend, and while I always knew that I would need to get along with my daughter's dad for her sake, I never imagined that I would become as close to him as we are now. One of my housemates has become one of my best friends, and seeing the relationships that continue to grow and flourish just fill my spirit with so much joy and my heart with so much love.

But with all these blessings, this is not what I'm referring to as "A Gift of Words."

Over the last few days, I've gotten notifications on my phone for a Verse of the Day. Funnily enough, over the last few months I've struggled with letting go of bitterness, anger, and self-righteous indignation because of some of the attacks I've been the target of. And those are still daily battles I have to let go of. Well, in the last two days, the Holy Spirit has started to talk to me through His Word, and they couldn't be more clear.

Matthew  5:44 "But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which spitefully use you and persecute you."

Colossians 3:13 "Make allowances for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others."

And you know what? It's tough. But it's true. I can't control what anyone else does, or how they view me, or how much they hate me. And while it breaks my heart because the last that I ever want to do is to cause pain, and would much rather sit down and talk face to face and work through conflicts and actually communicate like adults, in the end I only have control over my actions. And if words is the only way I can bless, even if it's words said in hope to my Father that He can reach others in ways that I can't, then that's what I'll do.

Still. It's hard to just discount the reason for the season when it's so very obvious in my own life.

1 John 4:19 "We love because He loved us first."

God bless you all, and have a Merry Christmas and Happy Hannakuh!

Comments

Popular Posts