The Cause and Effect

So in my Shakespeare English class we've been going through Hamlet. On Monday we went through the first act, and after class I had this line going through my head:

"It is the cause, and most cursed effect."

I didn't think that line showed up in Hamlet, but after talking to my fellow drama geeks, I guess different variations of that line show up in quite a few of Ol' Bill's plays. Which made me think: if a he wanted, no, NEEDED to reiterate something like that, the chances that it still rings true today as it did four hundred years ago are not impossible. Think about it: we still talk about cause and effect today, and a lot of the time it's when things aren't going so well.

It's the most cursed effect.

Example: Just this morning, Jesse was talking to me, saying that he felt like I wanted to be out of the house as much as I can possibly be, maybe I'm trying to find excuses to not be with my family.
The cause: I'm taking a writing intensive, hybrid English class. We have no internet. I try to do the best with what I have, but often times I need to go to school a few hours before my class so I can get assignments typed up, submitted, ect. I also have a class that goes until 4 pm. So, a lot of the time I'm not getting home until almost 6 pm. Which means that I'm (literally) not at home for almost eight hours a day.
The effect: I'm not spending as much time with my family as I want to. In return, my Jesse is feeling very neglected.

So, just for the hell of it, I have a question for you, my reader (if I do indeed have people that read this): How can we choose to let the cause affect our life, and is there any way that we can take a negative effect and turn it into a positive?

Comments

Popular Posts