The Little Things

Parents never tell you that raising your own child is a walk in the park. And why should they? The one common refrain among parents is "I hope you have a child just like you!" Most of the time this is at their teenage child that is being willful, disobedient, and generally making us want to pull our hair out. Being a parent is not an easy thing to be. Believe me, my mattress is freshly marked with puke spots from my three year old angel right now.

It's almost five in the morning, and for the first time in my life, I was puked on. Morgan has been running a fever all night, and I know this because her fevered little body was snuggled up with mine for the majority of the night because she wanted to snuggle. Little thing #1.
It started out small, she was barely noticeably warm. But she had been put to bed in just her diaper (still working on potty training, and she's gotten so much better!) and her skin was barely warm. My room was a little warm, so I was opting to sleep with just one blanket. Morgan wouldn't have it. She wanted ALL THREE blankets on the bed, and me under them just as she was. After I had snuggled her in, like a little bug in a rug, she pulled the blanket over my shoulders and said between yawns, "Now you can be warm, too, Mommy." Little thing #2.
At around 3:30, she began getting REALLY restless, and kept kicking me as she tried to kick the blankets off. I was able to get some children's Tylenol into her, and then she laid her head down. I was worried, so I stayed sitting up. Morgan patted the pillow beside her's, saying "Mommy, come snuggle with me. Make me feel all better, please." Little thing #3.
I pulled her into my lap, and she snuggled right in, resting her head against my arm. "Mommy, my head hurts. Mommy, I don't feel-" She couldn't even finish her sentence before all that liquid came up and covered my chest. And you know what my first reaction was? Grab my little girl and hold her close as more vomit came up and covered us both. Little thing #4.
Afterwards, standing in a shower with my little girl in my arms, warm water washing us both clean, it was the first time she actually let the water hit her face. She said it felt good, that she felt better. She threw up, again, right when I grabbed a towel to wrap us up in. As soon as she was back in my arms, her head on my shoulder, the first thing she said was "I'm sorry, Mama. I'm absolutely filthy." Can you imagine? My little girl, my beautiful, precious, wonderful child, apologizing for not feeling well and getting sick.

Being a parent is not an easy thing. I'm trying to hold onto these little things, though. These precious moments that come in the most inconvenient of times. Like four in the morning right before Morgan is to go to her dad's house. But I still love the snot out of my little bunny and would gladly sacrifice all of my bedding just to see her feel better.

Comments

Popular Posts