Of Mothers and Stepmothers

So, as most of you know (or at least, those of you reading this), I have been incredibly blessed in terms of adopted and biological family, and this last year jas made it all the more valuable to me. From being able to become a stronger parent for my daughter, to becoming an adored figure in the eyes of children, to becoming like a sister to other mothers that have come to mean so much to me. And finally, but oh so important, being abme to come alongside my daughter's other mother.

This morning, we met up so that I could give her school pictures that we had just gotten back. And in a split second after seeing her, mom sense kicked in. She was hurting. And as I wrapped her in a hug, trying to send strength through such a simple touch, my heart started to break for her. So I offered what little comfort I could to her.

And later that afternoon, I got this message from her:

Four years ago, I would have never pictured this. I would have never pictured becoming so close with my daughter's stepmother, with being able to support and encourage and become such a cohesive, fully functioning unit.

Having my daughter's step mom be a part of my life, a positive part, isn't what society has taught us is normal. But it should be. Raising children is a joint effort, and its not just an effort of the biological parents. Having children surrounded by positive, encouraging, empathetic, noncompetitive role models is something that every parent should want.

And I've been blessed enough to have it for my little girl.
For OUR little girl.

Comments

Popular Posts