Simple Joys

I woke up this morning to my daughter yelling at me. It made me laugh, because it wasn't a bad yell, but more like "Wake up, Mama!!" And as soon as I rolled over on my partially-inflated bed and looked at her, she got this big grin on her face and started saying "Mama. Mama." I couldn't help but smile, despite the fact that it was six in the morning, and I normally don't get up that early. But when I tried to get some more sleep, Morgan refused (quite emphatically) to let me get some more shut eye.

When I started changing her diaper, she grabbed her feet and pulled them to her chin. I looked at her and asked "Are you trying to help your mama?" In response, I got another smile that showed me her two new teeth that had just broken through in the past few days.

On Sunday, we went to the drive-in movie theater, where Ringo was playing. Yeah, it was a bit late for Morgan, but even though she fussed until the movie started, as soon as you saw a chameleon on the screen and heard Johnny Depp's voice through the radio, she was enraptured!! She laughed almost the first thirty minutes, and trust me there were parts to laugh at! But this one part definitely had Morgan laughing, a lot harder than she was the rest of the time she was awake!



Morgan's been teething these last few days, so she's been running a bit of a fever and hasn't been that hungry. Earlier today, after getting her up from her afternoon nap, Morgan DEVOURED an entire bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal. Then she got very sleepy. So sleepy, in fact, that she actually fell asleep in my arms while we were watching Mary Poppins. She hasn't fallen asleep in my arms like that in months. Before, it had been out of necessity because we were riding the bus getting stuff done, or because I had been walking around with her in a sling, keeping her close to my chest for almost an hour. But today...it was like she wanted to snuggle with me! I loved it.

But you see, for me it's those little things that mean the most. It's my daughter's laugh as she's watching a cartoon, it's those smiles that I get from her right when she wakes me up. It's when she lays her head over my heart and looks at me, yawns, smiles, and shuts her eyes before she falls asleep. I've had people say they want a baby, and I in no way doubt that they want a baby. But you have to be ready to accept that there will be more heartache than joy, but the joy will be exponentially greater than the trials.

You just have to learn a new pace, and to love those simple joys that come with every new day.

Comments

Popular Posts